Applying for your licence

Before you can learn to drive a car you must apply for a provisional driving licence.

You can apply for your provisional driving licence by completing the D1 application form that is available from the DVLA form ordering service or Post Office® branches. You will also need to enclose original documentation confirming your identity, a passport style colour photograph and the fee of £50.00. Send your completed application and payment to DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1AD or you may be able to use the premium checking service.

Alternatively you can apply by using the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency's (DVLA) secure and easy to use online service.

How to find a driving instructor

  • Contact Staffordshire County Council Road Safety Unit on (01785) 276617 who can provide you with a list of approved driving instructors who are members of our Young Driver Coaching Programme.  
  • Personal recommendation
  • Yellow Pages or local newspaper

The Theory Test

If you are a learner driver you must take and pass your theory test before you book your practical test.

The theory test is made up of two parts; the multiple choice part and the hazard perception part. You need to pass both parts to pass the theory test. Once you have passed the theory test you can then apply to take your practical driving test.

Legal obligations of drivers and keepers of vehicles

There are duties and obligations you must meet before driving or keeping a vehicle on the road. You must also tell the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) of any changes to your personal or vehicle details.

To drive you must:

  • hold the appropriate driving licence for the vehicle being driven
  • meet driver minimum age requirements
  • meet the legal eyesight standards

As a learner driver you must:

  • be supervised by a qualified driver who must be over the age of 21 and must have held (and still hold) a full licence, in the relevant vehicle category, for three years
  • display L plates

Before taking a vehicle on the road it must:

  • be registered with the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA)
  • have a valid vehicle tax disc
  • hold a current test certificate (if this is required)

You must have the minimum of third party insurance which covers your use of the vehicle.

For further information visit the DSA website